Sunday, April 8, 2012

Got Yeast? A Guide to Diagnosing Yeast Infection in Women

The female human body is an organic machine made of nerve, muscle and bone. It can nurture babies for up to nine months. But, like all machines, it is prone to the occasional malfunction, such as, well, getting candidiasis - better known as a yeast infection, or in this case vaginal thrush. So how do you go about diagnosing yeast infection?

Not Quite Yeast, Actually...

To begin, vaginal thrush is not brought about by yeast. The infection is actually caused by a fungus called Candida albicans which has yeast-like properties. It grows naturally in warm, moist, dark regions of the body, like the mouth and the vagina. Its growth is kept checked by a kind of beneficial bacteria which also grows in the human body. The job of Candida albicans is to search for harmful bacteria and destroy them.

The problem starts when the good bacteria that monitor the growth of Candida albicans die, either because of antibiotics or a weak immune system. Once these bacteria die, Candida albicans grow rapidly and spread aggressively. Add to this the fact that all candida fungi can pass through muscle or organ walls in the body (it has been known to penetrate intestinal walls), and there you have it - an infection that irritates the vagina as well as the vulva.

So How Do You Diagnose It, Really?

The first step to determine the symptoms. The most telling symptom is if your body releases a white or whitish-gray discharge which comes out clumpy and has a smell that reminds you of bread or beer. Other common warning signs include severe itching, a burning and tingling sensation, and even soreness, all of which make walking, switching positions, urinating and sexual intercourse difficult. Some of these symptoms may be heightened through exposure to chemicals, such as perfumes and household cleaning materials.

Sufferers are also more prone to develop allergies through inhaling airborne mold. Damp, dark locations can make them feel worse. They may also display a craving for sugar, breads, carbohydrates and alcohol, though sufferers may not necessarily be tolerant to alcohol. But even then these symptoms altogether may make you a candidate for another infection called bacterial vaginosis, which merits its own article.

With these symptoms in mind, the next step is to visit your obstetrician-gynecologist or ob-gyne. The ob-gyne will begin questioning you about your symptoms, your medical history and your exposure to certain chemicals. He or she will take a swab of your vaginal discharge, and inspect the presence of candida from this sample under a microscope. The ob-gyne may also ask you to assist him or her in identifying the exact location of the itching or pain using a magnifying lens.

Keep in mind that not all doctors are able to diagnose thrush or yeast infections properly. There are times that the indicators could be signs of thrush as described here, and there are times that they may actually be symptoms of a kind of vaginitis, most likely bacterial in nature. Also, when left unchecked, thrush may cause dangerous side-effects, such as endometriosis, ovarian dysfunction and the release of toxins which may further jeopardize your immune system.

Diagnosing yeast infection can be difficult, mostly because its symptoms are no different with those of other illnesses affecting the genital region. Therefore, it is extremely important to be pro-active in getting an accurate diagnosis as soon as you experience the warning signs.

You must able to recognize and keep track of what is going on with you in your genital region. And you must be very forthcoming when asked about the medication you are taking and the products you are using.

  1. Home >
  3. All Categories > 
  4. Health >
  6. Women's Health >
  8. Resolved Question

Resolved Question

Show me another»

For women only!!?

ok let me start off about 2 months ago i was diagnosed with a yeast infection my first one. Then after that i have been feeling mildly irritated, itching and discharge clear even more after intercourse. i already set a doctor's appt w/ my doc but this happens more frequently after intercourse.. im only sexually active with my husband! do you think it could be an on going yeast infection or what? and also i have been in a lot of stress please give me some ideas i am really concerned!!

Additional Details

ohh and i am sorry i was tested for std's last doctor's visit and everything came back negative...i don't think it has to do with an std though maybe more like an infection! any over the counter rx you can recommend ?
6 years ago

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Don't Panic! A mild infection is nothing to get stressed about. It can be cured with a normal thrush cure such as Canestan. Your Doctor, depending on your medical history, may want to take a urine test or a swab to make sure it's nothing serious. But You should be ok. The reason why it probably acts up more after intercourse is because you aggravate the areas where it is happening most. While you are waiting for the doctor's appointment, avoid having sex for a while and see if the infection dies down. If it does, try to keep your liquid intake up as this can also aggravate it.
Take care!
  • 0Rating: Good Answer
  • 0Rating: Bad Answer
Sorry, you must be Level 2 to rate
Asker's Rating:
5 out of 5
Asker's Comment:
thanks for all your advice!

Other Answers (7)

  • If you trust 100% that your hubby is faithful, you can rule out an STD, which your symptoms DO suggest. Maybe you have a hormonal imbalance that is upset by his semen or all the friction during sex. I would say get an all inclusive test at the docs office and maybe even a 2nd opinion- you can't be too safe with your health... good luck!
    • 0Rating: Good Answer
    • 0Rating: Bad Answer
    Sorry, you must be Level 2 to rate
  • Your husband has to be treated too..he is reinfecting you every time you have intercourse.
    • 0Rating: Good Answer
    • 0Rating: Bad Answer
    Sorry, you must be Level 2 to rate
  • I have that from time to time. You would know the difference if it was another infection or not. Sometimes I get irritated after intercourse, but it doesn't mean it's an infection. If you are going for a long time and after awhile you may become dried out. That's when I get irritated.
    • 0Rating: Good Answer
    • 0Rating: Bad Answer
    Sorry, you must be Level 2 to rate
  • You're being reinfected because your husband needs to be treated also.
    • 0Rating: Good Answer
    • 0Rating: Bad Answer
    Sorry, you must be Level 2 to rate
  • You could be passing it back and forth from each other. Yes, men can get yeast infections, they just don't irritate as much as ours. Treat him as well. Don't have sex until it's completely gone. Try eating yougurt too. It helps.
    • 0Rating: Good Answer
    • 0Rating: Bad Answer
    Sorry, you must be Level 2 to rate
  • the only thing you can do is avoid intercourse until you are better.i heard it can spread wait and see your doctor he will give you a pill that you need to take right away and that will be enough for you to get rid of it.
    • 0Rating: Good Answer
    • 0Rating: Bad Answer
    Sorry, you must be Level 2 to rate
  • Have you been tested for any other STDs? Sometimes that can be the cause. I would get tested just to be on the safe side.
    • 6 years ago

    'Styled by June,' case of crossed stars

    Media Life Magazine - 6 days ago
    ... June Ambrose, a stylist who says she handles "celebrities who are in need of a style reboot," ... or I can be that yeast infection that doesn't go away.

Enhanced by Zemanta